FASS508 Quantitive Data the second session introduction to quantitate data research. It was useful to reacquaint myself with this research methodology but I cannot see this approach fitting into my research methods so I probably will not go on to do the more in depth courses in the next term.
FASS510 Generating data: Fieldwork, Ethnography and Participant Observation. Much more like it, this is exactly what I was looking for. Picked up some useful tips for my own documentary and research methods and while some appear to push hard up against Ethics they din’t break them. For the fieldwork instead of taking written notes I took photos as these could be analysed in greater depth after returning back from the field, got a thumbs up for doing this.
2nd Supervisor meeting.
The challenge has been set, in fact I have a 2 phase approach to my literary review now, with the aim of significantly deepening my knowledge of film theory albeit that specifically related to the portrayal of memory in film.
How have film theorists conceptualised the relationship between memory and cinema?
- Which are the key publications on this area?
- Who are the key theorists, and what specialisms or disciplinary fields are they situated within?
- What are their principal arguments?
- In what respects are these theories contadictory, limited or problematit?
How have filmmakers conceptualised (or visualised) the relationship between memory and cinema?
- Which are the key films on this topic?
- What are their principal arguments/narratives, and which genres, traditions or contexts are they situated within?
- What are they situated within?
- What are their characteristic formal and stylistic features?
- In what respects are these films contradictory, limited or problematic?
Documentary Film Production Meeting: Attended a meeting with Gil Graystone, Inclusive Film & Theatre Officer at the Dukes in Lancaster. Discussed my documentary project and how we might partner together to make a film on the Dementia friendly screenings they hold as part of the ‘Life more ordinary” project. She will discus my film proposal with the Theatres Director in the next few days to see if filming is possible and fits in with the Dukes schedules.